Here are a few Advent meditations that have blessed me. One of the earliest books I read on Advent, was a selection of poems from Ann Weems. Her conversational poems speak to our human longing and struggle to pause before the mystery of God’s coming. Alfred Delp and Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s sermons were written from Nazi prisons and carry the weight of a soul waiting human judgment while looking for the coming of God in Christ. There are some paintings from across the ages that explore the nativity. One quick way to get started is by looking at Nativity on Wikiart (some pictures are not relevant but most are).
- Advent of the Heart – Alfred Delp
- Preparing for Christmas – Richard Rohr
- Advent with Evelyn Underhill – Christopher Webber
- Light Upon Light – Sarah Arthur
- Kneeling in Bethlehem – Ann Weems
- God is in the Manger – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Here are a few albums that often help me to pause, quiet my heart and reflect during this season.
- Advent at Ephesus (Benedictines Of Mary, Queen Of Apostles)
- Advent – Young Oceans
- Advent Volumes 1 and 2 – The Brilliance
- And Winter Came – Enya
- A Tapestry of Carols – Maddy Prior